Pokemon Go is finally officially available on Apple Watch. It was first announced back in September 2016 during the Apple iPhone 7 / 7+ launch.
Pokémon GO is now available on the Apple Watch! You will now be able to explore and experience the world around you directly from your wrist, whether you’re searching for wild Pokémon or trying to hatch the Pokémon originally discovered in the Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver video games.
Apple Watch is particularly well suited to Pokémon GO as it seamlessly combines gameplay and imagination with getting exercise and exploring the real world. You can easily interact with Pokémon GO on Apple Watch, using quick taps to discover nearby Pokémon and collect items from PokéStops. Once you encounter a Pokémon, you can catch it from your iPhone. You can log your play sessions through the Apple Watch app as a Workout that will count toward your personal Activity rings, while also counting distance toward hatching Pokémon Eggs.
To recap the core features of Pokémon GO on Apple Watch, you’ll be able to
– Log each play session as a workout, with gameplay counting toward personal Activity rings
– Receive notifications about nearby Pokémon
– Count distance toward hatching Pokémon Eggs and receiving Candy with your Buddy Pokémon
– Receive notifications about PokéStops nearby and collect items from them
– Receive notifications when Eggs hatch and medals are awarded
This holiday season, experience Pokémon GO and the world around you in a whole new way on Apple Watch. It’s the perfect companion for bundled-up winter walks in the Northern Hemisphere and for fun summer activities in the Southern Hemisphere. And hey, what great timing—you can get a head start on that New Year’s fitness resolution by having some fun now!
—The Pokémon GO team
The Apple watch version does not come with the full functionalities – you will not be able to catch any Pokemon but you can collect from Pokestops as well as clock mileage for your buddy Pokemon & incubated eggs.
Here are the in-game functions that you can get from the Apple watch:
- Log each play session as a workout, with gameplay counting toward personal activity rings
- Receive notifications about nearby pokemon
- Count distance toward hatching pokemon eggs and receiving candy with your buddy pokémon
- Receive notifications about pokeStops nearby and collect items from them
Receive notifications when eggs hatch and medals are awarded
Testing it out
We tried the new app, and it performs exactly as stated without having the hassle of pulling out your phone.
This is fantastic news for users who already own the Apple watch, and not planning to purchase the Pokemon Go Plus device. It makes convenient the process of hatching eggs and getting our candies with our buddy Pokemon without staring at our phone all the time.
If you are not aware of the Pokemon GO Plus, it is a small device that lets you enjoy Pokemon GO while you’re on the move and not looking at your smartphone. The device connects to a smartphone via Bluetooth low energy and notifies you about events in the game—such as the appearance of a Pokemon nearby—using a LED and vibration.